Subject: [Leica] Re: Future R Plan (Stephen Gandy+Felix)
From: DouglasMSharp at netscape.net (Douglas M. Sharp)
Date: Sat Oct 16 11:31:02 2004

Felix and Stephen,

F?lix L?pez de Maturana schrieb:

>> 1) Leica R glass is probably the best SLR glass available overall.
>> About 60% of
>> the independent manuf SLR lens sales are Nikon AIS.  to make profit
>> on R glass,
>> Leica needs to sell that glass in Nikon AIS mount

and Canon and Minolta and Olympus and ...............

>> 2) Leica is rumored to have a large quantity of unsold R9 bodies.
>> Leica needs to
>> turn that inventory into cash. The way to do that is to announce that
>> R SLR bodies
>> are discontinued.  This would turn a slow seller into a hot seller as
>> people go
>> for the last German R body.

A little white lie to get rid of surplus stock at knock down prices
which are still much higher than anyone else?
Where does this fit in with the projected sales of the Digital Back,
will they only produce this is numbers
less than the backlog of unsold R9s ?

>> 3) Staying with lenses in R mount and Nikon mount, Leica needs to
>> license the R
>> body mount, allowing other manuf to make R cameras.   This is a
>> fast,  no cost way
>> for Leica to offer their fans digital R bodies, while at the same
>> time making a
>> license fee off each body without investment.   Imagine a Kodak 14MP
>> or Sigma or
>> the latest 12 MP Fujica digitals in Leica R mount.  Of course those
>> digital bodies
>> would would also sell more a hell of a lot of  Leica made R lenses.

Why not when Kodak are producing the Leica sensor? or is Nikon blocking
the way?
How long is the R-Mount still sole property of Solms ?

>> I believe these three plans would result in a big R system profit.

Big I'm not sure , improved definitely.

> With all due respect, Stephen, I think not. There are other lenses up
> to the level of "some" R lenses. The news of a R line production
> stopping will leave in total indifference most of amateurs and pros
> all over the world. I do not see the point of producing other
> manufacturers R cameras. If the R digital back is a failure I cannot
> see the future of Leica. I wonder what is actually thinking about Herm?s!
>
> Kind regards
>
> Felix

BTW I think Felix is right, most people in the photographic world
wouldn't give a monkey's about the demise of Leica.
One, the group of those who can't afford them
Two, the group of people who never thought of  using them.
Just how many customers does this leave us with? enough to keep Leica
alive if they don't wake up to economic realities - I think not.
Douglas