Subject: [Leica] Newfies!
From: locke at straylight.ca (Greg Locke)
Date: Fri Oct 15 17:47:38 2004

Canadians are the whipping boys of choice out here, but they are usually
only skewered in "retaliation". The Canadian federal government bureaucrats
they send out here to take away the few local jobs we have and "help" us are
the best... Except with them its not sport, its vengeance.  They will be the
first ones put on the boat when the day comes. There is nothing more
pathetic then watching a newly minted urban and OBVIOUSLY not a local
government employee explaining Newfoundland culture and history to a
visiting group of businessmen or tourists in our "national park"

All from Canada are fair game if they make targets of themselves.
All except Cape Bretoners!  They are our Lost tribe.

Sad to say the influx of American tourists in recent years has provided a
few "yuks" but please don't take that as US Bashing.

OK,OK!!! ... There was this "North American" tourist on Signal Hill in St.
John's looking out over the North Atlantic toward the east admiring the
spring icebergs (here's the view http://www.straylight.ca/iceberg_ally/ )
and one said to the park guide, "are they real?"   The guide replied,
"No,ma'am we have those made at Disney Studios and towed up from Florida."

Satisfied with that answer she proceeds to look at her watch and ask what
time the whales start their show.

Sadly, this is a true story.

Actually the classic rivalry in Newfoundland is between the "Townies" and
the "Baymen"

...ask your friends which they are :^).

A local radio station ran Townies VS Baymen "debate" contest all summer and
it was pretty funny.
Even caused a few fights in the pubs on George Street.

I was in the court house one day and got to watch two grown men with big
shiners tell the judge
"HE STARTED IT!!!" ...and the poor judge had to leave the bench when the
prosecutor told the judge, with a straight face, the joke that cleared
Benders Pub.  The place was in hysterics and I can't remember what it was.

Greg Locke
St. John's, Newfoundland
http://blog.greglocke.com
Independent journalism from