Subject: [Leica] Olympus e1 system (OT)
From: bdcolen at earthlink.net (B. D. Colen)
Date: Thu Oct 14 10:18:58 2004

I am keep my .58 TTL, Abrahamson winder, and most of my lenses. (and at
the moment I also have a .72 body which I may or may not keep). I also
still have a pretty complete OM4 set up, so any 35 film work I need or
want to do I can.

As to the E-1, I am the wrong guy to ask those sort of market questions
of. I am convinced Olympus is serious about the system, and will be
expanding it in terms of bodies and lenses for the foreseeable future. I
am also convinced, and believe my work demonstrates it, that it is a top
quality system - for what it has at this point.

Whether or not Oly gives me equipment, I'd have to be on drugs allot
stronger than the ones I'm taking for my ruptured disc to believe that
the E-1 system is going supplant Nikon or Canon in the pro market; they
are simply too well entrenched, and have such extensive systems, that
it's not going to happen. I do believe that if it's marketed correctly
the E-1 can do very well in certain parts of the pro market, and the new
pro-summer body and lenses could give the N70 and Rebel runs for their
money. I also think it's pretty obvious that Olympus is doing very well
in the consumer market.

But my selling most of my film equipment has nothing to do with how
Olympus is or isn't doing - it has to do with the fact that we are now
in the digital age, and for what I do, that requires that I be able to
shoot digitally for most assignments. I don't think I can bring myself
to ever sell off all my Leica equipment, but by the same token, I can't
afford to sit on all of it either.

B. D.