Subject: [Leica] Re: Say Hello to Hermes Leica -- THE Photog's Fashion Statement
From: lowiemanuel at yahoo.ca (Emanuel Lowi)
Date: Wed Oct 13 14:53:50 2004

By all accounts, the replacement of Cohn by Coenen
(despite their aggravatingly similar names -- don't
they have any Schmidts left in Germany?) is all for
the better.

Coenen is ex-Zeiss. He is not a clever marketer of
furniture. He is a person who knows optics and camera
engineering from the inside. He has a business degree.
Sounds good to me so far.

He has worked himself up the Leica Solms ladder for
the past few years. For my money, that kind of person
is intrinsically superior to some smarty-pants who
swoops in from the outside, with even the best of
intentions and Hermes' backing.

Meanwhile, some 25% of Leica's shares have been bought
by a group of Austrian investors who previously picked
up another piece of the Leica group of companies.
These are people who want to own technology-minded
companies, not a scarf and handbag manufacturer.

It bugs me to read people ridiculing Leica for doing
nothing. They recently released the M7 and MP and
several new lenses. Just because Photokina and PMA
occur with predictable regularity, does Leica always
have to show up there with some totally new thing, as
if on cue?

Rest assured that the Leica M digital camera will
closely resemble a film M, not some gussied up Cosina.
It'll have significantly more megapixels than the
Epson.

But like the Epson, within a few short years it will
be superseded by advancing technology and anyone who
buys one will feel like dumping it for the new and
improved.

So how many here consider their 50-year-old design M
cameras obsolete yet? Not me, no matter what the
market keeps telling me to believe.

Emanuel Lowi
Montreal

Replies: Reply from joelct at singnet.com.sg (Joseph Low) ([Leica] Re: Say Hello to Hermes Leica -- THE Photog's FashionStatement)