Subject: [Leica] RD-1 Follow-up
From: tcioni at telus.net (Terry Cioni)
Date: Wed Oct 13 07:56:26 2004

Greetings,

The RD-1 images on my smugmug are heavily down sampled. Including what I
do to them to get them to smugmug, and what smugmug does to them, please
make no judgments on jpg artifiacting or pixel tech stuff etc. My
efforts were based purely on shooting ergonomics - the original file
quality is excellent and the 8x10s I have printed-up on an Epson 2200
look good to me.  For those of you familiar with D100 jpg fine the
output is very close. In my opinion Epson has squeezed a bit more out of
the CCD, and the noise management seems somewhat better better on the
RD-1. In fairness the D100 has been around since June 2002 and I am sure
there were lessons learned that Epson developers took advantage of as it
relates to the CCD (I am told the Epson RD-1 is the same Sony built CCD
in the D100). My rule of thumb is to make no judgment on web images
unless the orginal file is available for download. In the case of
smugmug - these are not the original files even though it says "original".

My comments on price are based on the difference between the Canadian
and US dollar. Although the gap has narrowed recently $2895US is
$3662CDN + 14.5% sales tax, so a landed at my doorstep and RD-1 is going
to be over $4000CDN. That is a whole lot of TRI-X.  Believe me I have
done the math over and over again :)

As I am new to LUG, I really want to thank all of you for the wealth of
knowledge being shared. Thank you.

Terry.