Subject: [Leica] Say Hello to Hermes Leica -- THE Photog's Fashion Statement
From: jbcollier at shaw.ca (John Collier)
Date: Wed Oct 13 07:16:06 2004

While a very well reasoned and thoughtful analysis I do not agree. In
my opinion, Mr. Cohn had to go. Leica took a wrong step and is facing
serious financial repercussions as a result. These are desperate times
for Leica with its survival once again in doubt.

The decision to start with the development of the R digital back was a
mistake in a company with limited R&D resources and only one profitable
line left. That line is not the R line by any stretch of the
imagination. The process should have gone the other way with the
development of an M digital first. There is interest of an order of
magnitude larger in a digital for M line as compared to the R. Now
Leica has reduced staff levels and started a forced march to develop a
digital M before it is too late.

Other companies are now leaping in where Leica has up till now refused
to go. The success of the RD1 will not go, and has not gone, unnoticed.
Modern manufacturing methods have made the design and manufacture of
rangefinder/viewfinders much less daunting than in the past. While
still adding considerably to the cost of a camera over the viewing
system of an SLR, it can be much lower than in the past. If
Epson/Cosina decide to continue to market and develop the RD1, and the
digital M comes in with similar specs at two to three times the price,
it is over for Leica.

One thing I do agree with is that it may well be a good time to buy a
new Leica body. Hell, with the way things are going, it may be not only
be a good time, but the last chance.

John Collier

PS: Perhaps it is time for a new Leica: the next development of the
rangefinder line. It would have a new lens mount which will allow
larger exit pupils (sp?) for the easier design of the required
retrofocus lens designs which better suit digital sensors. Once again a
simple adapter would make older lenses useable if not with as good
results. Just a thought...

Replies: Reply from bdcolen at earthlink.net (B. D. Colen) ([Leica] Say Hello to Hermes Leica -- THE Photog's FashionStatement)
Reply from bdcolen at earthlink.net (B. D. Colen) ([Leica] Say Hello to Hermes Leica -- THE Photog's FashionStatement)
Reply from mail at gpsy.com (Karen Nakamura) ([Leica] Say Hello to Hermes Leica -- THE Photog's FashionStatement)