Subject: [Leica] Extra photo bag on the plane
From: locke at straylight.ca (Greg Locke)
Date: Tue Oct 12 18:29:42 2004

Just as a follow as I am in discussion with Air Canada and British Airways
over such things for a St. John's, Heathrow (maybe Schipol) Nairobi trip.

2 checked bags 70lbs each max.
1 Carry on bag (12kg) PLUS a "personal" bag(12kg). Descirbed as a purse,
brief case, laptop, etc. and must fit under seat ..they gave dimensions.
Size of a Domke bage or small backpack no problem for under seat.
Camara carried on your person does not count.

Do not put film in your checked luggage. Carry it on and ask for hand
screening if it is over 400 ASA OR if has already been xrayed.

My experience is that one xray at boarding did not harm 40 rolls of 100 ASA
Agfachrome professional.

Both said "LOCK YOUR CHECKED BAGS". If there is a problem you will be asked
to open it or it will not go on the plane. They did warn of theft and damage
to checked bags on US bound flights.

Indeed, both in Schipol and Templehof in the past I have been sought out by
a security officer and taken to my bags, once on the ramp as it was being
loaded on the plane, and asked to open the bag (which was unlocked) because
the xray machine could not distinguish what was deep in the middle.  It was
my portable colour kit with hair dryer and developing reels.

Sooooo, the REALLY GOOD NEWS is I have found a pro shop and E6 lab in
Nairobi and can buy most of my film there...AND CHEAPER than in St.
John's!!!

Happy flying!! :^)

Greg Locke
St. John's, Newfoundland