Subject: [Leica] Lux Q
From: luisripoll at telefonica.net (Luis Ripoll)
Date: Tue Oct 12 13:01:22 2004

Thanks Feli
Luis

-----Mensaje original-----
De: lug-bounces+luisripoll=telefonica.net@leica-users.org
[mailto:lug-bounces+luisripoll=telefonica.net@leica-users.org]En nombre de
feli
Enviado el: martes, 12 de octubre de 2004 21:00
Para: Leica Users Group
Asunto: Re: [Leica] Lux Q

On Oct 12, 2004, at 11:23 AM, Luis Ripoll wrote:

> Feli,
>
> Once I've read your comments about the different Summilux types, maybe
> would change my Summicron 11819 for the third version Lux, I don't
> know how
> better could be the ASPH.

I haven't shot the new Lux ASPH, but from all of the reports I have
seen it appears to
be a stellar piece of glass that matches the current Cron at every
stop. But the Lux ASPH
costs a bloody fortune ($2500). John Collier on this list traded his
Noct in to get one. Unless
you really need the speed, the Cron is a superb lens. One thing I
really like about it is that it
manages to be blazing sharp, without the use of ASPH surfaces, which
results in very smooth
bokeh.

> I was thinking on the 75mm, it is probably a better lens, with a
> different way to use
>  it of course, but I've found very interesting your comments,
> principally because the
>  work I prefer is B&W too, and the 50mm is really versatile.

I've shot the 75 and it takes some time to get used to. Keep in mind
that it's much bigger
and heavier than any 50 including the Noctilux. I also think the 50 is
more versatile.

> A very (personal) and important point when I think on a lens, is for
> me to
> know if the lens has a focusing tab or not, because I had an accident
> on my
> left hand and for me is difficult use certain lenses as the Summilux
> Version
> #2 (I've tried it), with a bigger diameter as for the 135 or 75mm I
> have no
> problem, but for certain ones I absolutely need the focusing tab. That
> is
> the mainly reason because I've arrived to the M System a little bit
> late,
> because I have always my personal question about if I can easy use it,
> now I
> see - fortunately - that I can.
> Let me know please if versions #3 & #4 has the tab.

Only the 4th version of the Lux (ASPH) has a tab and it's not very big.
Unfortunately
this is the latest version of the lens and it costs a staggering $2500.
You may be
able to find a grey market one for substantially less at a place like
deltainternational.com
or http://www.donchatterton.com/

Only the 4th version of the Summicron (11819 black, 11825 chrome
2,967,00 - ???)
has a tab. This lens has the same optical formula as the current
tab-less model with the
collapsible hood.

Hope this helps.

Feli