Subject: [Leica] One more time
From: dorysrus at mindspring.com (Don Dory)
Date: Sun Oct 10 15:39:15 2004

Dan,
There will be two gear noises, the first is the actual timing mechanism
of the shutter and of course cocking then will do nasties to the
shutter.  After the second curtain closes, the inertia of the gears is
used to recock the escapment mechanism.(This is from one of the Leica
books about 1970.)

When I am in a hurry, I wind the film after the second curtain closes
and have no difficulties in many years.  On my M6, the motor winds as
soon as the curtain closes so I assume that no damage occurs.

0.02

Don
dorysrus@mindspring.com