Subject: [Leica] More about the 75mm
From: rangefinder at screengang.com (Didier Ludwig)
Date: Sun Oct 10 06:17:40 2004

Don, Luis

My few cents about the 75mm:
How much the 75mm is appreciated depends on how important the 50mm is for
one. If the 50mm is indispensable, the 75mm makes less sense to carry with,
and a 90mm seems to be the better addition. But if the 35mm (or even 28mm)
is your most important glass, then the 75mm makes a lot of sense.

But if the 50mm is indispensable, you will add two lenses when you go out
with more than one lens: 35-50-90 (or 28-50-90). A 2-lens set with the 50
makes less sense than a 35-75 combination, which I carry very often in my
LowePro Micro bag.

But I prefer going out without bag, just one camera/one lens in my pocket.
The 50mm is the lens that stays at home, mostly. Dont know why. It's always
either not wide enough or too much tele for me. The 28, or the 35 or the 75
are my usual choice, depending on my mood, and many other factors like the
location I go to, the light conditions that will be there, the weather,
available pocket-size and others.

Sometimes I even dont care about focal length and speed and just take
anyone of my lenses and look what could be shot with it. Sounds silly, but
makes fun (as I'm not a pro).

To come back to the 75 Summilux - beside it's unique fingerprint, it's much
more versatile than for shooting portraits only:

Street:
The 75 is great if you dont want to shoot wide angle architecture, but more
people or details with bokeh behind and in front of it. You can capture it
without going as close as with a 50 or a 35; and it has less tele-look than
a 90 mm.

In clubs, concerts, theatres, museums:
Here the 75 Summilux is at it's best - ideal in speed, ideal in focal
length (maybe except if you're shooting Madonna in a football stadium). The
2/90 Summicron is ok from the focal length, but a notch too slow.

Didier

Replies: Reply from luisripoll at telefonica.net (Luis Ripoll) ([Leica] More about the 75mm)
Reply from luisripoll at telefonica.net (Luis Ripoll) ([Leica] About the Summilux 50mm)
Message from luisripoll at telefonica.net (Luis Ripoll) ([Leica] More about the 75mm)