Subject: [Leica] Outer zones and performance
From: krieger at usc.edu (Martin Krieger)
Date: Sun Oct 10 04:49:39 2004

What matters is the performance in the outer zones, for me at least. It is
not too hard to make a lens that performs wonderfully in the center. What I
am concerned about is uniform performance, that is fine performance not only
in the center but also in the outer zones, near the edges and the corners.
Why? Like a spy photographer or in suveillance, I am often concerned with
features of the image that happen to be in the edges or corners of the
negatives. Hence I am quite willing to give up perhaps 5-10% of the MTF in
the center zone for superior more uniform performance (at say 10-40 lp/mm).
That is what Zeiss
advertises, for example. They figure, as well, that film flatness is not so
good that
improvements in the center are as important and seeable as improvements in
the outer zones. Does anyone know who makes the best performing lenses over
all the negative? Zeiss would claim to.
Martin Krieger

Replies: Reply from dorysrus at mindspring.com (Don Dory) ([Leica] Outer zones and performance)