Subject: [Leica] Don's PAW You did want images taken with the75Summiluxdidn't you?
From: phong at doan-ltd.com (Phong)
Date: Sat Oct 9 16:04:06 2004

Richard F. Man wrote:
> That's one of the things that get me about auto-focus
>  cameras.  Here we are  discussing whether to focus
> on the far or near eye where  autofocus cameras
> use 6 googelplex of focus points and blast away! Are we
> Leicaphiles doom to  play with F1.4/F2 to have thin
> narrow DOF and miss out the fun of  blasting
> away with F2.8/3.5 and fill flash?

Hi Richard,

I still have the same issue when using my DSLR.
I always use a single focus point (so that
I control what the camera focuses on)
and set that focus point on the near eye,
(and possibly lock the focus for subsequent
shots) recompose  and shoot.  If I let the camera
choose the focus point, it may choose the near
ear and both eyes will be out of focus.  :-)

And I prefer to shoot without flash, fairly wide
open (f1.4 and f2) indoors.  I don't mind closing
down to f4, but often the light is not there.  Also
when shooting handheld, I rather gain in speed
than in DOF.    Maybe when sensor performance
improves to the point where ISO 1600 is as good
as ISO 400, I will stop down to f4.

- Phong

Replies: Reply from bladman99 at yahoo.ca (Dan C) ([Leica] Don's PAW You did want images taken withthe75Summiluxdidn't you?)