Subject: [Leica] Re: bags on planes, now going minimal
From: locke at straylight.ca (Greg Locke)
Date: Fri Oct 8 17:10:04 2004

Yeah, know...minimal is not the issue here, it's the maximal ...er, maximum!

I can easily walk through security and onto a plane with 4 cameras around my
neck and no one would says BOOO. No hassles other then the basics. (I've
done it with 2 F3's with drives and a F2 with 20, 30 and 80-200 f2.8)
I don't even mind having my film x-rayed ...ONCE!!

But the problems start when you PUT IT IN A BAG!! And need to carry couple
of hundred rolls of film.
...and even then it wasn't too bad until the airlines and airport
authorities started hiring thieving gorillas on the loading ramp.

WHO CARES!  what minimal is. Minimal won't get me the day rates I ask. For
professionals to work professionally it's the maximal ..er, maximum that
matters.  SEE, size ALWAYS counts.

Yeah, I've travelled light. M6 with 35 and F4 with 20 and 135 (cameras on
the shoulder, film and lens in Domke pouches) on a 3 week vacation in
England and Scotland.
....BUT I WASN'T WORKING trying to keep an editor happy and justify taking
his money.

...now my wife still ridicules me ("the pro") for not getting the picture of
her being attacked by swans in a canal at Tring. ..but, at least, she can't
FIRE ME!  (so to speak) :^)

It ain't the same, guys.

Greg Locke
St. John's, Newfoundland