Subject: Traveling for a long assignment was Re: [Leica] Re: extra photo bag on plane
From: jonathan at openhealth.org (Jonathan Borden)
Date: Fri Oct 8 05:31:54 2004

Tina Manley wrote:

> When you are gone on an assignment for a month and are expected to
> come back with the photos, you have to have a certain minimum of
> cameras, lenses and film - which is what I try to carry - and which
> weighs more than you can carry on a plane today.  And I carry much,
> much less than most professional photographers.  No lights, no flash,
> no telephoto lenses, no tripods.

After listening to this thread, and understanding the inevitable
problems with air travel today I wonder if there might be two different
scenarios:

1) Emergency shoot, need to get there quickly
- grab an M6/7/P or 2 a few lenses, some film, hand carry and go..
- otherwise a digital P&S if the quality of the images isn't critical
-- perhaps that is not a reasonable option for a pro, it just seems
that there are some small digitals out there.

2) Ship your stuff via Fedex etc. to a known and reliable place (even a
Fedex/DHL etc site) and pick it up when you get "in country"?

Hassle, yes but I don;t think that the *current* passenger airline
system is capable of being used to transport large volumes of
critical/expensive equipment without it either getting trashed or lost.
Blame this on the terrorists and the economy if you will but with the
current financial situation in the airline industry, I don't see this
issue getting much priority -- even though it should. I dunno, call
your Congressman. Perhaps when they are doling out $ billions to "save"
the airline industry they can also place some requirement that a
minimum service level is exceeded, otherwise I don't see the public
willing to pay extra $$ in higher ticket prices in order to get better
service (and let's not kid ourselves ... someone has to ultimately pay
the airport fees).

Jonathan

Replies: Reply from images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley) (Traveling for a long assignment was Re: [Leica] Re: extra photo bag on plane)
Message from images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] Re: extra photo bag on plane)