Subject: [Leica] 75mm 1.4 JUST DO IT!
From: bdcolen at earthlink.net (B. D. Colen)
Date: Wed Oct 6 19:50:29 2004

Don't JUST DO IT!

Buzz and I spar about this all the time face to face...:-)

I OWNED and USED the 75 1.4. It is unquestionably one of the best pieces
of glass Leica offers; it is a razor blade optimized for cutting images.
But...I found the focal length very bothersome - read useless. It gets
you too close if what you really want is a 50, and it doesn't get you
close enough if what you really need is an 85 or 90. In fact, I think I
tested it once and found out that it gets me about 1.5 steps closer than
a 50. When I want a 50, I often don't want to, or can't step back 1.5
feet.

I wish that Leica had been able to simply port the formulation of this
lens to a 50 configuration and made it the new Summilux - it would have
blown everything else away. But, alas, they didn't.

The question for you, then, is not whether it's a gorgeous lens
optically, or whether other people have taken great photos with it. The
question is whether the focal length is right for you. I now have the
Cosina 75 f 2.5, which is optically excellent - not earthshaking, like
the Leica 75 - and which is tiny, and very inexpensive. On those few
occasions when the focal length is right, I have it, but I don't have it
in the form of a very expensive lens that will get very little use.

Think about it. And if there is any way you can, rent, borrow, steal one
and use it for a while.

Then, if you still want it, get in touch with Kyle and if he still owns
it, maybe he'll sell you the 75 I sold him.

Best

B. D.