Subject: [Leica] Leica R lens question - 180mm
From: dalmy at comcast.net (David W. Almy)
Date: Wed Oct 6 19:17:41 2004

Chris,

The 180 Summicron is close to the perfect lens. Built like granite. Sharp as
they come. Have shot many full frame faces at f2 and it's fun to study the
DOF -- razor sharp iris, you can see the veins in the whites of the eyes,
and then all else is a progressively out of focus. Amazing. Easy, quick
internal focusing. Use a tripod/monopod. Bright viewfinder; everything snaps
in and out. Just wow. Highest rating by ColorFoto of any lens they had ever
tested (up to that time, or since?). 70-180 also is fantastic in its own
right, but not quite as fantastic at 180. Along with the 180 Summicron, the
100 Apo is my other "can-do-no-wrong" lens.

Good luck,

David W. Almy
Annapolis