Subject: [Leica] Leica R lens question - 180mm
From: michiel.fokkema at wanadoo.nl (Michiel Fokkema)
Date: Wed Oct 6 01:30:34 2004

animal wrote:

>> Newbie to the R8 system. Anyone use either the 180/2.8 or 180/2 APO lens?
>> Any thoughts on performances? I need a good fast telephoto for low light,
>> these Catholic churches here are dark!
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>> Chris Williams
>> New Orleans
>> www.zoeicaimages.com
>>

> Just got a 180/2 and a R.I find it very hard to focus accurately.Was
> prepared for that after reading reviews but still it is a bit of a
> suprise.I have to say that i also have focusing problems with a noctilux
> at close range.This is worse however.By coiincidence i just shot a test
> roll to get a feel for the limited depth of field.
> Obviously one sees it when using the DOF lever .But with my poor memory
> it is nicer to have it in print .I,ll try and posts these later.
> simon jessurun
> amsterdam

Hi,

I use the plain focusing screen in my R8. In my opinion this makes
focusing much easier than with the standard split screen. This seems
especially to be true for long lenses and even more so for macro. This
split screen thing does goes black and I find it really distracting.
I have the non-apo 180/2.8 second version. It is probably not so good as
the apo versions but for me it is good enough. It is good wide open and
better when closed down(obvious) and can be bought very cheap.(when
compared to the apo's) It also works very well with the 2x extender.

Best regards,

Michiel Fokkema

Message from s.jessurun95 at chello.nl (animal) ([Leica] Leica R lens question - 180mm)