Subject: [Leica] I need a cheap film camera
From: Afterswift at aol.com (Afterswift@aol.com)
Date: Tue Oct 5 22:59:48 2004

In a message dated 10/5/04 10:24:16 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
lug-request@leica-users.org writes:

> The majority of students I've known in the US start off with a Nikon
>  FM/FM2/FM2n.  I started with an FM3a.  Paired with a 50mm f/1.8, it's a
>  great beginner's camera.
Jeff,

Could we really say that an FM is a beginner's camera? Wouldn't it be more
accurate to consider the FM to be a truly mechanical pro camera? Like all
such
pro cameras, they are also great training tools. If you really want to get
know the craft of photography, what better camera could you use than a 4x5
or
the even the simpler 8x10? In the 35mm field, that would be the FM -- and I
mean the original FM! If the Nikon F is a Bugati, the FM is a Porsche. You
had
better learn to shift gears in these models or just stay home and run around
the
block with a P&S digital. I think cine cameramen still use light meters.
Does
anyone remember Weston meters?
I think they're still sold new in Europe, last I heard.

Bob

Replies: Reply from jklu at sas.upenn.edu (Jeffrey Lu) ([Leica] I need a cheap film camera)