Subject: [Leica] RE: New Zeiss Ikon
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Mon Oct 4 18:41:28 2004

>snippet<
>
> Meanwhile, for me, the Zeiss Ikon lens line offers no
> enticements yet. I can't imagine their optics
> bettering my 21/2.8 ASPH, 28/2 ASPH, 35/1.4 Aspherical
> or 50/2. And the price of the 15/2.8 will be leagues
> ahead of the dirt cheap 15/4.5 Cosina -- anyway, this
> latter is a very special purpose thing.

We still don't know what where the price point is going to be.
I'm assuming I'm going to have a Zeiss option for about half the price of my
Leica option. I find this very appealing. Slightly more so the ones really
made by Zeiss in Germany. A 28 I don't have yet maybe I'll go there for that
I don't need f2.
I'm heavy into the Zeiss look with my Rolleiflex TLR and Hasselblads.

But in a way I still feel like we are looking at a budget and premium line
of Cosina lenses with different German names on them. But it well might be
Zeiss will be more active with this line than they were with their
relationship with Kyocera Contax. Which is thinner than I feel comfortable
with.

Might be nice to shoot a project partially in medium format Zeiss and then
switch to 35mm Zeiss and enjoy the certain uniformity that Zeiss would bring
to both formats.
Its a Zeiss/Leica - Zeiss/TLR Rolleiflex. (2.8 F Planar) job
Or a Zeiss/Leica - Zeiss/Hasselblad job.

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland Oregon
http://rabinergroup.com/