Subject: [Leica] Re: New Zeiss Ikon
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Mon Oct 4 18:09:26 2004

>snippet<
> was a conscious decision to discontinue the SP line because Nikon DECIDED
> that RF cameras were dead.  IMHO, It had nothing to do with a niche
> strategy.....it had to do with some high up Nikon  dude deciding that this
> was the direction of the future, and if you discontinue all the other
> cameras, then you are right:  It is the direction of the future.  So the RF
> line went kaput.
>
> Simplistic? maybe.  Right ? we may never know.
>
> Frank Filippone
> red735i@earthlink.net

It was an interesting decision on their part to devote their whole factory
to the new Nikon F phenomenon. The factory was only so big. Not as huge as
some might think. They could have tried to still make some rangefinders but
they had to get a jump on the phenomenon they had just created before
someone else did.

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland Oregon