Subject: [Leica] Erwin Put's Take on New Rangefinders
From: nathan.wajsman at planet.nl (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Sat Oct 2 11:42:33 2004

I just got back from Photokina. Besides the obvious pleasure of meeting
and having lunch with several LUGgers, including Tom and Tuulikki, Jem
Kime, Henning Wulff and others, it was interesting to see the Leica
stand. I can confirm Erwin's statement about the lack of interesting M
stuff. In previous years the Leica booth was quite crowded; this time
there were very few people looking at the M section--not surprising,
since there was nothing new there except the "a la carte" thing which is
decidedly underwhelming. There was a bit of a crowd around the Leica R
section--most obviously the digital back, but also just plain R8/R9. I
think Leica may well have generated some new interest in the whole R
line with the digital back. I handled it and found the ergonomics a bit
strange; the back is quite thick so that I ended up pushing my nose
against it really hard if I wanted to put my eye close to the viewfinder.

In comparison, the Epson sections were quite crowded. I did not attempt
to play with the RD1 since I could play with Tom's instead. It is by far
the heaviest, most solid Cosina rangefinder to date, and were it not for
the price and uncertain distribution in Europe, I might well get one.

Rollei still had their rebadged Bessa R2 at their stand, but nothing
interesting, so hardly any visitors.

By far the most crowded stand was Canon's, with throngs of people
wanting to check out the 20D and 1Ds Mark II. Also, several
manufacturers had scantily clad models prancing around in makeshift
studio setups, which tended to generate mostly male crowds.

I think I spotted one of Kyle's girlfriends there, pictures to follow
later tonight or tomorrow morning...

Nathan