Subject: [Leica] Avedon dead at 81
From: bdcolen at earthlink.net (B. D. Colen)
Date: Fri Oct 1 13:27:08 2004

Too true. Another of 'the greats' packs up his equipment and heads off,
in his case, to the great studio in the sky. As I was just telling
someone else who sent me the news, for some weird reason when I was a
kid in high school my photo heroes were Avedon, Burt Stern, and Philippe
Hallsman (sp). It's not that I wanted to do advertising or fashion work,
but something about their 'look' really appealed to me. The problem was
that rather than be impressed and inspired by them, I was cowed. One of
the reasons I ended up spending the bulk of my career writing rather
than shooting seriously was that as a kid I'd look at Avedon's work and
think "I'll never be this good! I'd better try something else." I had to
get well into my 40s before I really got serious about photography
again. Weird.

Ah well, now maybe my battered but still complete copy of "Avedon -
Baldwin" will be worth some real money. ;-)