Subject: [Leica] The Well Hung Photographer BEING BEATEN!
From: doubs43 at cox.net (Walker Smith)
Date: Fri Sep 24 23:11:39 2004

>The camera landed flat base plate to the left side of his head and he sort
>of stood there for a moment, then his knees just let go and down he went!
>:-)

Ted, this is off-topic but it involves a soldier who served in the
Canadian Army during WW1 so I'll risk telling the story. His name was
Herbert McBride and he wrote several books including "A Rifleman Goes To
War". He was a Yank who enlisted and became a Captain, IIRC. He didn't
have much use for the 9mm cartridge or the Luger and commented that the
only time he ever saw a Luger used effectively was one swung on the end
of a lanyard that landed up side the skull of a German officer who
refused to surrender. It dropped him dead in his tracks..... literally dead.

The man you hit is probably fortunate that the base of the camera hit
him flat and not on an angle. Even so, a blow like that would drop a
steer and it sounds like this guy was about that size! There's no
telling what he may have done to you and your camera had he succeeded in
reaching you. You did the only thing you could do to protect yourself.

I'm just glad you survived with nothing more serious.

Walker