Subject: [Leica] Uncle Sam: Aaron's PAW #39
From: aaron.sandler at duke.edu (Aaron Sandler)
Date: Fri Sep 24 09:21:32 2004

Juan,

Thanks for looking and giving your comments.  Unfortunately, I'm not the
most knowledgeable when it comes to the details of developing magic, but
I'll try...

The reason I tried this is pretty simple: I ran out of D76 but I had a
bottle of HC110!!!  But the reason I had the HC110 is that Travis on
photo.net had a crazy-sounding developing scheme, and I've often liked his
work.    Some other things had appealed to me about his scheme: the higher
temperature is convenient in the summer so I can use water straight out of
the tap without needing to cool it, and using liquid concentrate and not
having to agitate sounded about right for my lazy self.  :)  :)

My basic understanding is that by not agitating it is possible to bring out
shadow details because developer near the denser (highlight) portions of
the negs gets tired faster than developer near the shadow portions of the
negs, so you can develop longer continuing to bring out the shadows without
blowing the highlights.  (Someone please correct me if I'm wrong
here.)  This would seem to be more important when pushing film, and Travis
often shoots TriX at 1600, but he had shared times for 400 and up.

I have developed 6 or 7 rolls like this, and generally speaking I wasn't
pleased with the skin tones.  The photo I chose for my PAW this week worked
out very well for some reason, but many others did not.  Less consistency
than I usually get.  I guess if I kept notes on exposure and all I might be
able to figure it out, but that doesn't sound like any fun to me.  As I go
back and look at Travis' photos, I realize I should not be surprised about
the skin tones.  His photos are often more graphic than mine.  I may
reserve this developing scheme for the times I try low-light, graphic,
street photography.

Sorry I couldn't be more scientific about all this, but I do too much
science in my day job...I love to shoot; that's where I want to spend my
time.  I've figured out the darkroom part enough to be pretty consistent
and not make any major mistakes, and I don't really have the patience to go
much further in terms of all the minutiae.

Maybe someday, but now, as Ted says, I'm having too much fun.

Aren't you sorry you asked me to elaborate?  ;-)   ;-)

Best wishes from North Carolina,
Aaron

Replies: Reply from scott at adrenaline.com (Scott McLoughlin) ([Leica] Uncle Sam: Aaron's PAW #39)
Message from banacloj at mac.com (Juan Gea-Banacloche) ([Leica] Uncle Sam: Aaron's PAW #39)