Subject: [Leica] Black and White C41 Film
From: nicholsj at edge.net (Jim Nichols)
Date: Thu Sep 23 18:30:53 2004

Max,

Armed with your information on C41 film, I visited my local family-owned
camera shop.  I've known the owners for almost 50 years, and they are
getting on up in years.  The only Professional B&W film they had was 8-10
rolls of T400CN; the one they handed me was 90 days out of date.  I asked
if they were aware of the later version, and they were not aware the
product had been superceded.  They promised to look into the matter.

I ended up buying a 36-exposure roll of T400CN for half price, since it was
out of date.  It's now in my IIIf RD ready for may next opportunity to try
it.  My experience with slightly out-of-date film is that it works just
fine.

Thanks for the help.

Jim Nichols
Tullahoma, TN

In the hills between two 'stills

http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQuerier.jhtml?pq-path=2/3/9/543&pq-locale=en_
US
> Kodak Pro films:

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/professional/products/blackWhiteIndex.jhtml?i
d=0.1.18.14.21&lc=en

> BW400CN (and Ilford XP2, for that matter)  are very different critters
than
> silver films.  The C-41 films, in my experience, yield less contrast and
> edge sharpness, and more shadow detail when handled well.  They have a
> smooth transition from light to dark that I like for portraits, and often
> less grain in low-light (IMHO).   My work is not the best example of the
> abilities though.  Take a look at Graham's:
> http://www.geebeephoto.com/html/l10.html  (the T400CN he uses is the
> previous version of BW400CN, he must have a big freezer).
>
> Max

Do