Subject: [Leica] Lost Faith in Leica
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sat Sep 18 16:02:31 2004

On 9/18/04 6:35 AM, "John Collier" <jbcollier@shaw.ca> typed:

> First Tokina, Tamron and Sigma are much bigger companies than Leica AG.
> Second they do not have a friendly relationship with either Nikon or
> Canon. Each new lens permutation requires T,T&S to reverse engineer the
> lens mount electronics. Sometimes this results in odd quirks and
> sometimes lawsuits.
>
> I do not think it would be a viable direction for a company with
> Leica's particular skill set: masters of optical design but quite a bit
> less than that with electronics.
>
> John Collier

An elliptical thread like a comet this one on "why isn't Leica just a lens
company?" to the effect or at least close....
It comes back as a thread every 8 or 9 months and plays havoc with the
LUG-o-system.

First of all not everyone thinks a Leica camera is a life support system for
a Leica lens. Some think exactly the opposite. They are into the genius of
the Leica M or LTM for that matter and don't care much at all what they put
in front of it. As long as it projects an image up side down on the film
place.
At one time that was my mind set.
My least priority was glass.
"Is that Harry or is that Larry?"
If I could tell Harry from Larry then the lens was ok.

In a sense with this Panasonic digital thing I was talking about yesterday
Leica glass has proliferated and I'm sure helps keep Leica afloat.
People get the wonders of Leica glass... Without Leica bodies and without
even high cost.

I usually say "what every they have to do to keep afloat is ok with me".
But this does not feel quite as good.

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland Oregon