Subject: [Leica] Re: Tri-X on the cheap
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Wed Sep 15 20:58:35 2004

On 9/15/04 3:28 PM, "Slobodan Dimitrov" <s.dimitrov@charter.net> typed:

> I wouldn't call Neopan Tri-X on the cheap.
> It's my considered opinion, from experience, that Neopan is the best suited
> BW emulsion for Leica optics.
> S.Dimitrov

I like it better than tri x. and it think its normal non tab grain film like
tri x.
My favorite film is Neopan 1600.
I tend to go from there to the 100 which I also use Fuji brand. ACROSS.
But sometimes when I DO use the 400 Neopan stuff I'm amazed on how sharper
it really is than the 1600! The whole time I'm shooting the 1600 I'm not
feeling like I'm hurting for sharpness. In Xtol 1:3.
But with that 400 stuff the results I get I feel I've gone all the way down
to the slow films.
ASA 25-50 are to me slow films. High rez films.

I just finished reading today that Dianne Arbus used Beutler developer and
hated American film only using German films. Adox and when they went out
only Agfa.
With her Mamiya 330 twin lens reflex.
In the 60's.
In the 50's she was Leica.

And used a very old Omega D2 enlarger.

Are re printed all her pictures with funny black borders that had been
printed borderless.

And then re printed all those with even funnier black borders.
As in on only two sides black borders.

I thought I was the only one who do black borders on less than 4 sidee!

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland Oregon
http://rabinergroup.com/