Subject: [Leica] audio from ground zero arrests
From: mlpowell at sbcglobal.net (Matthew Powell)
Date: Thu Sep 9 22:27:08 2004

On Sep 9, 2004, at 5:34 PM, Kyle Cassidy wrote:
>  i doubt any of the charges will result in a
> conviction, but the use of arrest as a preventative measure, arresting
> someone because they, _or someone they are with_ may or may not commit
> crime at a future time, especially when the crime they may commit is
> unspecified, is abhorrent.

Even better, the NYPD refused to release people being held, even after
being ordered to do so and then being held in contempt.
http://www.nynewsday.com/news/local/crime/nyc-
protest0910,0,2495087.story?coll=nyc-manheadlines-crime

Unfortunately, it sounds like the judge may be backing down from his
contempt order and fines. Most of the charges that I've heard of have
been dropped completely or reduced to sub-misdemeanor charges.

The great irony of the situation, to me, is that the NYPD were out
protesting just prior to the convention. It's too much to hope that
protesters would make their sympathies with the police known on that
issue and/or the police have had more respect (in general) for
protesters of other issues.

Replies: Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] audio from ground zero arrests)