Subject: [Leica] Lab vs. home processing.
From: dorysrus at mindspring.com (Don Dory)
Date: Sat Sep 4 06:33:30 2004

Feli,
It goes without saying that A&I used an automated system so time and
temperature were within about 0.1 degree.  My experience has been
however, that unless your temperatures vary many degrees between
solutions then the apparent grain will not change much.

As to the smoothness, does the grain look a little melted under a loop?
If there are no crisp edges then they were using a solvent developer
like Microdol-X.  FG-7 can also give a smoother grain structure than
D-76 and is commonly used in commercial labs.

My experience with Xtol and Tri-X does give a finer grain than D-76 but
the grain is still very evident.

If you really want to get to the bottom of it, why don't you ask A&I
what they used?

Don
dorysrus@mindspring.com