Subject: [Leica] Stephen Gandy took down the Epson R-D1 info!
From: red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Sat Sep 4 06:33:24 2004

The full name of the company is SEIKO EPSON.  They got into the business of
making stepper motors.  Motors are used in analog watches.  Then they got
into the LCD business.... remember the LCD watches?  The next move was into
printers that use stepper motors ( us old timers will remember the daisy
wheel printers ) ....  Then the PC computer boom and they got into printers
big time.  Their MX80 ( I told you I was old), FX80 were industry standards.
Then the Color printers for color printing.  Then Photographic color
printers.. Then Scanners ( that use stepper motors to move the scanner
head).  The cameras to supply fodder for the printers.

They have never been a top end priced consumer product company.  They prefer
the volume market.  ( Like most Japanese companies).

It is relatively amazing to me that they would at all be interested in the
relatively  tiny ( smaller than tiny ) market of Leica lens users compared
to the market of Nikon SLR lens users.  I am still not sure what it is we
saw, an what it will become.  Best not to second guess this one....

Frank Filippone
red735i@earthlink.net