Subject: [Leica] new LUG
From: reid at mejac.palo-alto.ca.us (Brian Reid)
Date: Sat Sep 4 06:33:21 2004

I have just finished converting the LUG over to a new software base.
I've been meaning to do this for years, but I finally decided that I
couldn't wait any longer.

I have switched from Majordomo to Mailman. You don't have to care, except:

* There is a nice web-based interface to let you adjust your subscription
* there are quite a few new options for subscription, including temporary
"nomail" status, new digest options, and choice of interface language.

I had three reasons for switching:

1. This new system is much more virus- and spam-immune.
2. The new system allows people to send messages that are not plaintext; it
knows how to convert them to plaintext automatically.
3. The new system automates about 95% of the work in running a mailing list.
This means much much less work for me.

There are 1113 members of the LUG today. Plus 10 more of you on leica2,
which I haven't quite figured out how to convert.

Send to
        lug@leica-users.org

over the next week or two I am going to phase out the name
leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us so that, by mid April, if you send to it,
you will get a little reminder that the name of the list has changed.

Brian Reid
your saloonkeeper

Replies: Reply from graham at geebeephoto.com (Graham Battison) ([Leica] new LUG)
Reply from jls at runbox.com (Jeffery Smith) ([Leica] new LUG)
Reply from jplaurel at spectare.com (Jim Laurel) ([Leica] new LUG)
Reply from phong at doan-ltd.com (Phong) ([Leica] new LUG)
Reply from images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] new LUG)