Subject: [Leica] Digilux 2 review pt posted - many samples
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Sat Sep 4 06:33:17 2004

At 11:51 AM -0500 3/17/04, Dan C wrote:
>Check out the following review of the A2.
>
>http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/konica-minolta-a2.shtml
>(subtitled: "hitting one over the fence").
>
>-dan c.
>
>ps..   I have a whole bunch of decent Minolta glass.  .  For years my
>number one picture taking lens was my Minolta 100/2.8 macro.  I honestly
>doubt that any real situation photo comparisons would reveal any
>differences between it and similar from Nikon or Canon.   But that was
>then.   I've since picked up a used Minolta 85/1.4 and now both my Minolta
>100 and my beloved 90/2 APO Summicron ASPH are collecting dust in the
>bottom of my equipment bags.  So I will have no problem deciding to buy the
>Minolta Maxxum 7D, barring terrible reviews, prices, etc.
>

>At 11:09 PM 16-03-04 -0800, Henning Wulff wrote:
>>At 1:31 AM -0500 3/17/04, Sam wrote:
>>>I've been preaching this camera to deaf ears, but I suggest you save
>>>your SLR digital money until it comes out:
>>>
>>>http://www.vividlight.com/articles/3413.htm
>>>
>>>If you put aside silly notions about Canon and Nikon being
>>>"professional" cameras and all the rest something less, you will be
>>>doing yourself a favor.
>>
>>But who's got any decent Minolta glass? Not enough to make any
>>difference. I'm sorry, but unless the digital Maxxum has the quality
>>of the Canon 1Ds at Rebel prices, it's not goint to go anywhere.
>>
>  >The A2 might be something to talk about, though.
>  >

I always thought that Minolta made fine cameras and lenses as well,
it's just that they have a much lower market penetration at this time
than Canon and Nikon. That makes the Minolta a very expensive camera
for people who do have Canon or Nikon lenses.

As for the A2, the Reichman review pretty much bears out the promise
of the specs of the camera, and shows it to be one of the best of the
8mp cameras. It would be interesting to see a comparison of the image
quality of this camera vs. the Digilux 2. The fact that the Minolta
can take multiple RAW images and has a viewfinder with twice the
resolution makes it much more attractive.

--
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design