Subject: [Leica] Let's Hold the Future at Bay a Tad Longer
From: lea at whinydogpress.com (lea)
Date: Thu Sep 2 07:11:46 2004

Speaking of independents...I have much family in the Seattle area and
when there I always try my darndest to get to Glazer's. They are what a
camera store should be, in my opinion. Lots of stuff to play with, lots
of stock on hand and lots of knowledgable sales staff. Big enough to
have what you need but small enough to care about the customer. I've
bought from them and had it shipped simply because I know them from my
visits and enjoy doing business with 'the little guys.'

The trend, at least what I'm seeing in KC, is for our local independents
to cater to the digital crowd (of which I am a member) and try to beat
out Best Buy, Costco and Sam's with good service. It's a good tactic and
it works but for those of us deeper into photography than just needing a
new media card or upgrading our point and shoots, it falls far short.

I have photography in my blood...I love a good camera shop where there's
lots to see and touch and play with. Our local shops are good in a pinch
but leave me wanting sooooo much more. Who can blame them? They have
bills to pay and need to keep in stock those things that sell.

One thing I never do is go to a local shop, pump the help for
information and demonstrations of equipment then buy on-line to save a
few bucks. Many folks do it but to me that's just not nice.

Lea