Subject: [Leica] Demise of Film Cameras
From: DouglasMSharp at netscape.net (Douglas M. Sharp)
Date: Thu Sep 2 02:46:08 2004

Hello all,
Having read so much recently about the demise of film, and the rise of
digital cameras, I was finely
tuned to looking at what other people were using in the tourist parts of
Berlin. I must have seen a couple of thousand
people taking snaps, but analogue is obviously and definitely on the way
out.
.
1 Chrome Leica M seen on an S-Bahn Station in the centre of town ( was
it one of us ? either saturday or sunday 28/29 August)
1Olympus OM-? in the Hackeschen H?fen - wow he had a 35mm PC-shift lens !
1 Screwmount Leica (possibly IIIf ) and a Mamiya 645 on the Museumsinsel
2 or 3 Fed/Zorki Rangefinders, may have been eastern bloc tourists.
half a dozen Canon, Nikon, Pentax SLR's of various vintages
Hardly any of these camera users was under 40 years old.

Literally hundreds and hundreds of Digital P+S,  Photophones, a couple
of digital SLRs and one Polaroid.

BTW It looks really silly when someone holds his mobile phone at arms
length to get a picture !

It was very reassuring to take a look in W?stefelds shop just off the
Ku-damm, full of lovely new and used Leicas, M, LTM, SL and R and lots
of lenses.
Quite a few rarities too,  an SLMot, with motor,  in nearly perfect
condition, a very nice looking Hektor 1,9 etc, etc),
well worth a visit if you're in Berlin.

I confess to having used my EOS 300D (Digital Rebel) a lot more than my
R7 over the weekend, I had the
RAW digishots processed and posted on the monday, the slides from the R7
will be collected today.

If anyone's interested, and hasn't seen the Berlin pictures yet, they're
at :
http://gallery.leica-users.org/New-Old-Pictures?page=1  and page=2

All taken digitally with the Canon standard zoom 18-55mm, ISO/ASA 200,
white balance set to sunlight,
the shot inside the chapel of remembrance was shot at ISO/ASA setting
400. My experience with this equipment
so far tells me that the lens is pretty useless for close ups, but
otherwise not bad at all, though the whole set-up
is so light that I'm getting a lot of camera shake at slow speeds.
If you've ever used an EOS/Rebel before ,the operation of it is more or
less a matter of instinct.
Now I'm looking forward to getting the adapters for M42, Leica-R and C/Y
so I can try some real glass on it.
Douglas