Subject: [Leica] Features to look for in an M3
From: wlarsen at ocsnet.net (Will)
Date: Tue Aug 31 20:59:16 2004

Adam Bridge writes:

>> If I wanted to buy an M3 to SHOOT WITH as opposed to put in a case
>> with spotlights etc etc, what features changed over the course of the
>> camera's production that make one version a better camera than
>> another?

Karen replies:

> M3 finders are starting to deteriorate with age (balsam separation),
> so one with a good finder is a must. That's the most important thing.

You have to watch for the same thing with lenses that used Canadian balsam.

> Singlestroke is faster than double-stroke and you can always
> double-stroke a single, but can't single-stroke a double.

I tended to multiple stroke mine while setting up the next shot in my mind

> I never use the self-timer.

My experience is to never use the self timer on cameras that have not
been recently CLA'd  (Talk about frustrating jams).

> The preview-lever is very handy although I find I don't use it as much
> as I thought I would.

I use the preview-lever extensively.  First my original (1965) set up
with the camera was with a 35-50-90 lens.   Now I use it to see the
approximate area that the MR meter that I use sees (the 90mm frameline).

> Crank rewind (accessories) are nice but optional.

You can always spin the camera around the rewind crank :)

> Having it converted to a RapidLoad does help a bit.

Personally I found it much more effective to buy extra take-up spools.
You pre-attach the film(s) to the next spool(s) drop into the
camera....make sure the sprockets are engaging and you are off.  Also
taking out the rewind spool resets the film counter.  (The counter is
the only thing on mine that had to be replaced during a CLA).

Personally, I would try and find the cleanest (mechanically) M3 you can
find and learn to live it (though the preview lever is really nice for
me).  If it has not already had it done, when you do a CLA, you might
want to replace the Leica x-synch plug.  It needs an adapter to be used
with standard flash cords (all right...I have not always been a LUGGER
and the camera early life was often hooked to a huge Braun flash unit
for obligatory pixes).

Regards, Bill Larsen, Terra Bella, CA

Message from mail at gpsy.com (Karen Nakamura) ([Leica] Features to look for in an M3)