Subject: [Leica] Re: Decently Cold Weather
From: lowiemanuel at yahoo.ca (Emanuel Lowi)
Date: Mon Aug 30 17:54:36 2004

Into the early 80s, Leica (Germany, Canada, USA, etc.)
offered a cold-proofing service. As Greg has
suggested, this involved replacing normal lubricants
with graphite, thus rendering the gear USELESS at
normal temperatures.

In my cold weather experience (ample), a well-tuned M
camera does not really need special service to make it
go. The meter electronics will fail, but the shutters
keep on working and the rangfinders are never a
problem. In fact, the M's left-side eyepiece is a big
advantage -- centrally located SLR eyepieces get
fogged/iced up too easily by the photographer's
misdirected breath.

I have found M6 cameras a little hit-and-miss in this
department. I don't know why. But the older cameras
have never failed me. I have not yet tested a new MP
or M7 in extreme cold.

Lenses are the real problem in the cold. The focus
rings eventually seize up and you have to pre-set for
hyperfocal distance shooting before this happens.

My Nikon F5 with lithium AA batteries performs
flawlessly will all electronic functions at any
temperature.

How did those WWII photographers handle their Leicas
and Contaxes with gloves on? They probably didn't wear
gloves. Cold weather photography means freezing your
fingers until they burn. And loving it.

Emanuel Lowi
Montreal