Subject: [Leica] RE: External hard disk for backup - which ?
From: bdcolen at earthlink.net (B. D. Colen)
Date: Mon Aug 30 10:43:26 2004

For a while now I've been using a four-drive system - a 30 gig C drive
with all my software - and a ton of vacant real estate - a 30 gig
scratch drive, which is also an enormous amount of wasted space. And a
pair of mirrored 80 gig drives for image storage - the theory being that
if one implodes, the other is still there. Of course, at the time this
thing was built for me, 80 gigs seemed like an enormous amount of space.
Now, despite moving gigs and gigs of images to DVDs, I still only have
about 12 gigs free on the 80 gigs. So now the question is what external
hard drive to add, and whether to use it for straight image storage and
access, or for backup. I'm sorely tempted by the 300 gig Maxor, and am
also sorely tempted to use it for storage and access, rather than backup
- the theory being that short of a building collapse or newquler war, it
will probably be possible to pay someone to get my images off the disc
if it dies. Is this not correct, IT mavens out there?

B. D.