Subject: [Leica] Nope - not a Telyt either
From: mitch.zeissler at verizon.net (Mitch Zeissler)
Date: Fri Aug 27 06:31:26 2004

Thanks, Phong.

Actually, I've post-processed these images a lot less than others I've
shared in the past.  Check out this comparison of one of the lily shots.

++++++++++
This is the original image from the 10D; all I've done is run the RAW file
(with camera default on all the settings) through the Adobe Camera RAW (ACR)
converter built into Photoshop, downsized it to 800x600 (90 DPI) format and
saved it as a JPG for web viewing.  No crops, no color correction or
enhancements, no curves, no sharpening or unsharp mask, no nothing.  Just a
straight JPG conversion from the RAW source file:
http://mysite.verizon.net/vze1ssgc/Lilypons/untouched.jpg

++++++++++
This is the same image after post-processing.
http://mysite.verizon.net/vze1ssgc/Lilypons/2004_08_25_lilypons_005a_std.jpg

With this version, I've done the following:

A)  Run the RAW file through ACR in Photoshop, bumping the Exposure setting
to +15 and Shadows to +5.  No other adjustments were made; White Balance and
Tint were left "As Shot".
B)  Enhanced the monochromatic contrast in Levels, with neutral midtones
(this is a tiny adjustment).
C)  Enhanced the monochromatic contrast in Curves (this is another tiny
adjustment).
D)  Left Highlights and Shadows alone (I usually apply some tweaks here, but
not on this image).
E)  Save the file as a TIF and close Photoshop.
F)  Open BreezeBrowser and create the HTML creator against the selected
files.  Settings are: 800x600 size, JPG quality is 90, unsharp mask is
Radius 0.5, Amount 1.5 and Threshold 0.0.  No other settings are used or
required.
G)  Done; no further cropping, dodging or burning, or noise reducing has
been applied.  Just post to the web at this point.

What I've found so far is that the image coming out of the 10D is much truer
to reality than what I used to get from film, no matter what glass, camera
body or film scanner I used to get the final image.

Regards,

Mitch