Subject: [Leica] Question about old photo paper
From: drr at purplehen.com (David Rodgers)
Date: Mon Aug 23 10:53:01 2004

Some papers seem to last longer than others before fogging becomes an
issue. I just printed some Agfa Brovira that's old. I don't know how old,
but certainly well past it's prime.  It was the hardest paper I had (6),
and the only 16x20. I concocted a metol mix with...BAMMM!!! a touch of
restrainer. The result were so good I'm shooting film again, and thankful I
didn't sell my Leicas.

I haven't shot much film since I bought a D100 a couple of years ago. I've
used a number of digital printing solutions, from Epson 3000 Piezography,
to some the new multi black cart consumer printers. I'd been scanning and
printing film even before I got the D100, but at least with film I had the
option of making a silver print.

Great and amazing as modern inkjet solutions are, IMHO nothing can quite
match a good silver print. With digital I can get 95 percent there, with
half the effort. Which means, being the lazy person I am, I'll continue to
shoot too much digital, and too little film. OTOH "fine art inkjet" remains
oxymoronic to me.

Regarding the economics, I think I've spend more time and money becoming
halfway proficient in digital printing than I ever did in darkroom
printing. Well, maybe not time yet, but the gap is narrowing.

DR

Message from oliverbryk at iqmail.net (Oliver) ([Leica] a couple of graphics)
Message from kenf01 at gmail.com (Ken Firestone) ([Leica] Question about old photo paper)
Message from msmall at infionline.net (Marc James Small) ([Leica] Question about old photo paper)