Subject: [Leica] Leni Riefenstahl
From: nathan.wajsman at planet.nl (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Mon Aug 23 01:55:26 2004

Marc James Small wrote:

> Are we to judge them as propagandists for the ideologies of the states in
> which they live or are we to judge them as technicians producing some of
> the finest cinematography ever made?  We know little of Eisenstein's
> feelings but we do have a really good feel on Reifenstahl.

To just look at the technical prowess of someone like Riefenstahl
without reference to her enthusiastic support for the Nazis is sterile.
She was not just someone who played along with the regime in order to
survive; she was a committed supporter. As such I reject her work
totally. I have no desire to have a book of her photographs on my shelf,
just as I have no need to have Mein Kampf there.

Nathan
--
Nathan Wajsman
Almere, The Netherlands