Subject: [Leica] Printers, first observations of the R800
From: dorysrus at mindspring.com (Don Dory)
Date: Sun Aug 22 17:02:23 2004

As some of you have read, my 1270 decided it was time to retire to my
wife's office.  After becoming convinced that the 2200 will be replaced
within a year by a similar machine using all the ink carts. I did not
look forward to replacing carts and flushsing the system to print on
matte paper so I decided to punt.

For a year or so I can outsource my printing needs over 8X10 so I picked
up an R800.  Color prints are a snap and are, as expected, pretty
wonderful on Epson's Gloss, Lustre, and Velvet.  The usual workflow was
followed, import as Kodak RGB(my now pretty old scanner doesn't offer
Adobe RGB, convert to Adobe, send to printer with the ICM profile
specified by PS.

B&W has also turned out to be surprising in the simplicity.  Three
prints with minor tweaks to the profile and I am getting B&W prints that
are simply wonderful.  It is very easy to tweak to cool down a print or
warm it up if you have done any color printing.  My working paper is the
Ilford Gallerie Classic Pearl.  Same ease of use.

The HP 7960 printed out a possibly better image, but I would be stuck
with HP papers for longevity and I am not really a fan of RC Gloss.

I also haven't tried any duo or tri tones but that will come as soon as
the backlog is worked down.

Just a kindly product endorsement.

Don
dorysrus@mindspring.com