Subject: [Leica] Some more new images
From: phong at doan-ltd.com (Phong)
Date: Sat Aug 21 12:30:51 2004

Chandos,

I like the portraits; in particular I like
the framing for Mitch very much;  I like
the expression on that and on Bob also.
Background separation works really well,
excellent choice for depth of field for portraits.

That said, I'd like to repeat Ted' mantra:
you should try shooting from the shadow side
more often.  I think it does wonder for portraits:
for one thing, it brings less attention to the ear
that is on the side of the light, thereby leaving
more attention for the front of the face and
of course the eyes.  Contrast for example
the lighting on Chandos (is that you ?)
and the other three individual portraits
Another reason, though more subjective and
less generally applicable, is that shooting from
the shadow side elongates the face, making it
less broad.  Of course, there are exceptions, but as a
general rule, shooting from the shadow side works
well.  Really well.   There, I just saved you a lecture
from Ted  :-)    (or Ted, I just saved you a lecture)

The color shots have an accentuated blue cast.
Not sure where that comes from.

Just my opinion, respectfully presented,

- Phong