Subject: [Leica] Jaywalker: PAW#34
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Thu Aug 19 21:51:17 2004

Aaron Sandler showed:

> This week is an attempt at a moody nighttime scene using TMax3200 and my
35
> summicron.
> http://www.duke.edu/~ajs2/PAW/2004_34/index.html
>
> What I like: The crispness of the woman surrounded by lighter
> background.  Her shadow.  The diagonals.  The overall feeling.
>
> What I don't like: I wish I had more on the bottom of the frame so her
> entire shadow was there.
>
> What I'm not entirely sure about: The blown highlights in the signs.  I
did
> contemplate toning them down, but I think I might actually like them
> somewhat blown.<<<<

Aaron,
A good one as most guys don't try this at midnight! :-)

As far as the windows, they are just fine because it's midnight so who cares
the windows are blown out a tad as it's the over all effect of night time
and the blown out windows probably look more natural as we'd see this scene.

You've made your own point on the shadow and it's a shame as that was the
first thing that caught my eye. I was, "damn too bad he didn't get all the
shadow in." It's a lesson for the next time that you wont cut it off and go
slightly wider and crop in the darkroom or on the screen.

ted

Replies: Reply from hellman at comcast.net (Jesse Hellman) ([Leica] Jaywalker: PAW#34)