Subject: [Leica] Conformity in Athens NOW BEING A SHOOTER!
From: bdcolen at earthlink.net (B. D. Colen)
Date: Thu Aug 19 09:21:04 2004

People's view of what that life is like reminds me of the view people
have of my traveling as a reporter....Wow! You got to go to Amsterdam
for 10 days? Wow - Yup - 10 &#$%# days covering the International AIDS
Meeting - 8 or so a.m. to 10 p.m. every day inside a huge convention
center....and then out to dinner and to bed...Oh, wait...not to
bed...because 10 p.m. was, what, 5 p.m. back at Newsday, when editors
would just be starting to think about looking at copy....and then it
would be, what, midnight in Amsterdam by the time the copy was off the
desk...So finished by midnight...Oh, but wait...then someone sees
something in a wire story they think they need, so it's re-write for the
next edition time - which means maybe finishing up by 1, 2
a.m......Yah...it's really allot of fun....
10 days in Amsterdam and I did not see a single Van Gogh, didn't make it
to Ms. Frank's place....NADA!!!

Then there was the time in Nairobi when the Newsday photo desk called at
11 p.m. to tell me that they had arranged for the AP office to transmit
a couple of my photos...So they gave me the address and told me to get
over there....I got a cab at the hotel, got dropped off at the AP office
- and no one showed up. I waited for about an hour, and finally gave up.
And then had to WALK back to my hotel because of course there were no
cabs around, very few street lights...just packs of wild kids,
prostitutes who I envisioned having neon signs flashing GET AIDS HERE
over their heads, and thugs....I literally walked down the middle of a
blvd to get back to the hotel, as there was no way I was going to use
the sidewalk and pass in front of the darkened doorways and openings to
alley ways....

Yup, it's a romantic life alright!:-)