Subject: [Leica] OT: vivitar 283 homebrew AC adapter?
From: kenf01 at gmail.com (Ken Firestone)
Date: Mon Aug 16 06:13:13 2004

On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 17:59:32 -0400, eric <leica_korenman@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Ok this is pretty off topic but..
> I use my vivitar 283 quite a bit (talk about your workhorse..)
> Recently I bought a SB-4 adapter, and discovered, like many before me, that
> it actually INCREASES your full power charge time from about 5 secs on
> batteries to
> 10 seconds! What a waste..
>
> Has anyone rigged up a different AC supply to the 283?
> I know quantum makes battery packs that can charge it in 3 seconds, so
> obviously
> the flash can handle a higher charge current.
> Seems that the SB-4 simply isn't providing enough current.
>
> Thought I ask around before I accidentally blow up my flash (and/or me)

A few things about the 283. There used to be a high voltage pack for
the 283 that used a 510 volt battery, and reduced the voltage to
around 300 volts, which were then fed into the 283 via the ac adapter
port. This bypassed the internal voltage step up (6 volts to 300
volts) circuit,  and the thing really recycled fast.

The other way to go is the way Quantum does it, with a high capicity 6
volt battery. Basicly they take a 6 volt lead acid battery, and wrap
some fancy electronics around it and sell the whole thing for a small
fortune.

Last year I did the same thing by buying a 12 volt lead acid battery
of Gates gel cels for about $5, and split it into 2 6 volt batteries.
I added a Battery Tender Jr charger for $25,  some homemade cables,
and a homemade connector to the 283.  The later was made from a
defunct 283 NiCad pack.

The 283 recycles really fast with this setup,  and it seems to go forever.

Just a few other notes. If you feed the unit electricy through the
battery compartment,  watch the polarity, and no more (or less) than 6
volts. BTW,  the  283 draws somewhere around 9 amps at the start of
the charge cycle, so fuse your battery accordingly.

--
Ken Firestone, W3CAT    Kerry-Courage under fire.
kenf01@gmail.com          Bush-Driving under the influence.