Subject: [Leica] more questions
From: lambroving at worldnet.att.net (William G. Lamb, III)
Date: Sun Aug 15 08:04:50 2004

Ted,

This is one of the better explanations I have read about Leica M's. Some
people have a mental block about a bright v/f where everything is in focus.
IMO a Leica forces you to "see" first BEFORE you take the picture. I switched
to M's in 1972 after using SLR's for a number of years, and although I own an
SL for macro, etc., I could not take relaxed pictures without my M's. May
there
be decent film to shoot and places to have it processed adequately for a few
more years!

O.K., I understand today's professional work flow and the demands of clients.
As an amateur, I don't have these demands and my pictures need only please
me. My filmware is the choice of film I use and the results from my local
shop's
high-res scans from their new Agfa machine don't need much PS. I have little
time to fiddle due to the demands of my job. Unlike yourself, I'm no photo
journalist and my documentary photos are confidential and taken inside
factories. I know when I pick up an M after months of no use that I WILL get
lots of hits and many happy surprises. I don't need to review my shots in an
LCD to know I have what I need on the emulsion. There is often no time to do
this reviewing anyway and I can't come back to re-shoot.

Speaking of light, I MUCH prefer film capture to digital capture since the
digital capture frequently looks plastic and highly manipulated. Maybe some
day it won't. I still can't deal with fighting with menus to get what I can
with
a Leica by simply removing a lens cap and making a few adjustments.
Anything which comes between me and what I want to capture is fatal.

You would probably hate my stuff because I am not a people photographer
and much of my stuff could be taken by others with an SLR, but I could not
do as well without an M.

Are you following this?

William