Subject: [Leica] more questions
From: jshul at comcast.net (Jim Shulman)
Date: Thu Aug 12 18:27:41 2004

Would I recommend a new M? Absolutely, depending on how they shoot.

If they're interested in a fast, quiet, unobtrusive camera for photographing
people, then Leica still has no peer.
If they're shooting in an extreme environment where batteries would fail,
then the Leica might be the best choice.

However, if they want to use the camera for any other purpose, such as
Landscape/building photography
Standard Tourist Snaps
News photography, or graphic production work
Etc.

Then they'd best purchase a modern digital camera, with the understanding
that it will become hopelessly obsolete in a few years' time.

Here's another way to consider the issue: let's assume that the purchaser
sinks five grand in a new body and Summilux 50.  Let's also assume that for
another five years 35mm film will be readily available.  Let's also assume
the purchaser will shoot 100 rolls of slide film (or such) per year, for a
film outlay with processing of $1200.

Can the buyer derive $2200 worth of pleasure per year from this purchase?

If a new high quality digital with lens runs $2500, with an investment in
batteries of $100 per year, would the low annual cost of $600 be worth
giving up the perceived desirability of film and mechanical cameras?

Buying a new Leica M today is a bit like Rhett Butler signing up for the
Confederate Army in the days before Appomattox.  Is the brief time of
service worth the expenditure?  The war's almost over.

Jim Shulman
Bryn Mawr, PA