Subject: [Leica] Nathan does digital
From: nathan.wajsman at planet.nl (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Thu Aug 12 13:51:39 2004

Peter:

Things I like about the 10D include:
- the freedom to experiment with the knowledge that the marginal cost of
each image is zero
- the instant feedback
- the much better color quality and control compared to scanned slides
- the time saving resulting from not having to scan film
- the autofocus, as much as I hate to admit it
- the fact that I will never be stuck with the wrong film in the camera

Things I dislike:
- the size and weight of the camera but especially the lenses
- the fact that I now have to worry about preservation of the images
much more than when I have the negatives to fall back on
- the (presumably) greater sensitivity to rain and other inclement
conditions, compared to the M6

On balance I am very pleased with the results so far.

My goal is to continue producing the same type of pictures I did/do with
  the M6 or the CL, just digitally. In other words, I do not expect that
capturing the images on a sensor instead of on film will change my style
in a discernible way. I do expect to take more chances; for example,
this shot from Copenhagen:
http://www.nathanfoto.com/indexcp.html
which I quite like (although it did not get nearly as many comments as
the one of the little boy in front of the lingerie store), was taken
without raising the camera to my eye. I was standing about 1.5 meters
from the two women, with the camera around my neck. I just zoomed the
lens to 17mm, aimed in their general direction, and released the
shutter. This is the kind of image I might also have taken with a film
camera, but with the knowledge that if it is garbage I can always erase
it, it is much easier to do this.

What I do find harder is to produce good B&W images. This is clearly
something I have to work on a bit, because there are people who are
doing it very well with digital cameras, for example B.D. with his
Olympus E1.

I cannot say that there any images I missed by not having the M6 and
Summilux. I have a 1.4/50mm Canon lens, and a 1.8/24mm on the way, so
speed is not an issue. All the things I disliked about the Digilux 2 and
other P&S digicams--shutter lag, electronic viewfinders, too much
automation--are largely absent from the 10D. It really feels like a
modern film SLR except that there is no film in it.

There are on the other hand images which I probably would not have made
with an analog camera. So I think that on balance having the 10D has
expanded my photographic possibilities. And don't forget--I still have
the M6!

Cheers,
Nathan