Subject: [Leica] Re:decline in LUG membership
From: fmaturana at euskalnet.net (Félix López de Maturana)
Date: Wed Aug 11 10:58:22 2004

>Apropos the digital rebel- I considered the talk that lenses for digital
>should be designed for digital sensors, and thought seriously about the
>Canon Powershot Pro1- with 8 megapixels and a 7X zoom lens designed around
>the camera, it seems that it would cover just about all the shots I'd want
>to take. Same price as the Digital Rebel, but with a lot more resolution,
>and I would assume that their firmware is up to snuff, as well.
>Has anyone used this camera?

Yes, I did. Pictures are very crisp and can be enlarged up to 30x40cm with
plenty of detail. But...you cannot use more speed than 50 ISO as the noise
will be huge! The autofocus is rather slow and sometimes inaccurated and
it's not as easy as a Leica M with his menus end so on. The Rebel -the best
output quality/price ratio digital camera- has less Megapixels but a overall
better image quality due to his bigger pixel size.

About the decline in this list? I have long ago switched to digital -Canon
EOS 1Ds- but whe I remember than the skill comes fron the experience not
from the equipment I love reading this list messages and learn from the
people who is here even -maybe specially- when they are OT. More and more
people is going to digital and trading their Leica cameras and lenses. I
keep my three bodies and my nine lenses including the Noctilux. And time to
time I use them just for fun. Just for fun I'll follow reading the list as
far as it will exist.

Felix

PS Few flames lately!