Subject: [Leica] decline in LUG membership
From: raikorho at uusikaupunki.fi (Raimo K)
Date: Tue Aug 10 13:47:57 2004

Hi all,
after a lengthy absence I decided to join LUG again.
And I have also found digital photography in the meantime.
OK, big sensor is better and good lenses are better than not-so-good ones
but it depends very much on what do you intend to do with the images.
Well, last week we had a music festival here in Uusikaupunki, Finland where
I live - and they asked me to take some pictures of the events. Just the
thing for my M6, the concerts - but I took along my Pentax Optio S4 as well.
And one day they needed pictures of a Swedish clarinet player (Martin Fr?st,
if anybody is interested) for an interview in the regional paper - and they
needed the pictures immediately. So I took the tiny Optio and shot about 30
images of the guy. The camera produces 4 Mb images packed into about 2.7 Mb
which supposedly are good for A4 size print - and an image on that size was
in the next day?s paper.
Leica pictures received good feedback but so did the digital images. So do
not underestimate the digital compacts. It is nice to have the equivalent of
35 to 105 mm focal lengths in your shirt pocket.
But I am not going to give up my Leica equipment.
All the best!
Raimo K
Personal photography homepage at:
http://www.uusikaupunki.fi/~raikorho